We are expanding the Community Housing Program at Discovery House to serve 30 more families, and have several positions open as a result! Come join our team and make a difference in the lives of the women and children we serve.
Discovery House has a 30 year history in Calgary of providing quality integrated residential and community programming to women and children fleeing domestic violence. The Community Housing Program operates from a Housing First perspective, and provides intensive supports to assist women and children as they transition into the community of their choice.
The Community Housing Program has an immediate opening for one full-time Mental Health Specialist. Part of a team that offers intervention and prevention services within a community setting, Mental Health Specialists Specialists collaborate closely with other team members to provide holistic care and support to families. Mental Health Specialists provide a safe, supportive environment for women to engage in activities that reduce the impact of family violence.
The duties of a Mental Health Specialist include, but are not limited to:
- Fulfilling all of the expectations of service (intake, admission, assessment, case plan, case plan evaluation, exit and follow-through) of each client
- Referring women to specialized services
- Engaging in short-term, supportive counselling
- Collaborating with community agencies regarding the client’s needs
- Maintaining accurate documentation and client files
Desired qualifications will include:
- A graduate degree in a related field (nursing, social work, psychology)
- Registration with an appropriate professional association
- Strong understanding of the dynamics and impacts of domestic violence
- Training and experience in crisis and supportive counselling
- Experience with case management
- Knowledge of trauma informed practice
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team
- Ability to multi-task and work in fast paced environment
- Creative problem solving skills
- Experience working with diverse communities
- A valid driver’s license and reliable vehicle is required
This position will remain open until a suitable candidate is found.
Please submit your resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org or fax to 403-670-0475. We thank all applicants, however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Discovery House is a committed equal opportunity employer